using encodings other than UTF-8 - part 2

Piotr Dworaczyk pjdworaczyk at o2.pl
Sat Oct 6 13:22:19 PDT 2007

Hi,
is there any way to process non ASCII characters in encodings other than
UTF-8?

I've asked a similar question some time ago (
http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D&article_id=54417)
about polish national characters, but haven't found any examples since.

D's very seductive as a better designed and/or C/C++/Java/C# alike
language.
As a hobby programmer and CS teacher I already thought about using it as a
teaching tool,
but, please understand, the character encoding issues are a no-go.

To tell the significance of the problem, just imagine, that beside of
utf-8 (which still isn't very popular),
there are two major implementations of the polish national characters:
windows-1250 (cp-1250) and iso-8859-2.

I already thought about running a conversion to utf-8, before the D
program's launch, and a conversion from utf-8 to the apropriate encoding,
but it does make little sense.

So is there a way, or could there be a possibility to add it in future
versions of the standard library?

Thanks for your answers,

Piotr Dworaczyk

--