questions on PhanTango 'merger' - long-term vision

Peter C. Chapin pchapin at sover.net
Thu Oct 11 04:30:34 PDT 2007

Kris wrote:

> A number of people feel that something (perhaps
> intangible?) is missing and we're trying to get a handle on that, while at
> the same time trying to figure out what people really expect from a
> phantango merger.

The main issue from my point of view is compatibility. Right now, as I
understand it, if I build a D library on top of Phobos or Tango I
exclude users of the other run time system from using my library. This
state of affairs in THE pain point. You don't have this situation in any
other well established language (that I know of), and it greatly
inhibits my inclination toward building D libraries.

I actually don't care about features, style, or documentation because I
shouldn't have to care. I should be able to use a single interface to a
run time system and know that my work can be used by "anyone" else
(barring special purpose configurations).

For example, if I write a library in C++ I can use the facilities
described by the C++ standard and know that everyone else will have
those facilities available. If I need a third party library X, I can
document that dependency and reasonably ask my users to also provide X
without disrupting whatever else they are doing. Because of the Phobos
vs Tango business D is not like this, and that is the one and only
problem from my point of view.

Peter