questions on PhanTango 'merger' (was Merging Tangobos into Tango)- long-term vision

Michael Hewitt dlangassist at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 10:15:45 PDT 2007

Everyone,

I'm sure what I'm about to say is both naive and obvious, but hopefully it
will be helpful nonetheless.  As an experienced C++ programmer and new D
programmer who is considering using D as our primary development language,
I come at this from a very simple perspective.  I don't really think in terms
of Phobos and Tango.  I think in terms of the D runtime (aka Phobos) and
other useful D libraries.  Tango seems like it might have some useful OO
functionality, but since it is not compatible with the D runtime, I am unable
to use it.

Bill and Benjamin's lists seem good to me, but even if Tango supported non-OO
versions of these, I still am inclined toward my admittedly simplistic attitude
of starting with "the D runtime".  Thus, until Tango either is "the D runtime"
(i.e. Phobos is deprecated), or is compatible with "the D runtime", I am
unlikely to use it.  One other comment is that the C-ish flavor of the D
runtime (e.g. stdio) is quite palatable to new D programmers coming from
C/C++, of whom there are bound to be many in the future if D is successful.
 Another comment is that two competing, incompatible runtime libraries is
a detriment to attracting new programmers to D.

I hope this is helpful.  I don't mean to start a war; I'm just providing
insight from the perspective of a new D programmer coming from C/C++.

- Mike