questions on PhanTango 'merger' (was Merging Tangobos into Tango)-long-term vision

BCS ao at pathlink.com
Thu Oct 11 15:38:05 PDT 2007

Reply to Christopher,

> BCS wrote:
>
>> as a bit of an aside: the amount of text it take to do something
>> effect how much of a function I can put on my screen at any given
>> time.
>>
> No, no!
> Even with a verbose standard library, your functions should always fit
> on one screen of text, except in a few extreme cases.
> Or so the gods of test-driven development tell me.

I'll grant you that, but sometime it just isn't worth it. (I have a function
that is just a page and a half of switch statement with one or two ops per
case. Yes that may be an indication of bad design but the alternatives that
come to mind are worse)

If you lay out your code correctly and the function are short enough you
can often get several related function on the screen at once. Also if the
function is shorter (and does the same stuff) than I can put more comments
at the top and still be able to see it all. A third thing is that I can read
it faster with shorter names (less pan time for my eye-balls and less noise
to filter). If you want to be really nit picky, it also should compile a
bit faster.