Key issue for PhanTango?

Lars Ivar Igesund larsivar at igesund.net
Fri Oct 12 06:09:42 PDT 2007

Aarti_pl wrote:

> Lars Ivar Igesund pisze:
>> In general you can as long as the runtimes are compatible. Overlapping
>> functionality may become a problem in terms of compatibility if one
>> library uses Tango and the other Phobos for say IO streams, but as said
>> earlier. Making Tango (any part related to IO especially) a wrapper
>> around Phobos don't at all make sense in that respect, and will not
>> happen. If someone wants to do the opposite, or create a wrapper around
>> both, sure. You seem to think that the Tango team should be ahead of such
>> a process, but considering that we already solved our problems by not
>> using Phobos, that would be a turn in the wrong direction for us?
>>

> In fact I think there is necessary dialog between Tango team AND Walter
> to solve problem.

Yes, there is a dialog between us and Walter, but I suppose I don't
understand what is the problem you want us to solve.

> My proposal is rather to keep most used Phobos'es methods/classes in
> Phobos, remove from Phobos high level function/classes (eg. net?). From
> Tango should migrate to Phobos free functions (Math?, Variant?, core/
> directory?).

But we are developing this stuff in Tango, not Phobos. In essence you are
suggesting one repository containing both Tango and Phobos, resulting in
one download. Merging code is only one problem, the practical problems to
merge the _projects_ would be quite different and would in practice Phobos
and Tango independence. Any other solution to this would lead to code being
duplicated, and needed to be mantained in several places.

> But maybe I just don't see, why it is not possible to choose such a
> strategy... Then please let me/us know why it won't work, if I can ask...

It is possible, I just don't think there currently is a good and compelling
reason for doing it?

--
Lars Ivar Igesund
blog at http://larsivi.net