Key issue for PhanTango?

Aarti_pl aarti at interia.pl
Fri Oct 12 05:36:00 PDT 2007

Lars Ivar Igesund pisze:
> In general you can as long as the runtimes are compatible. Overlapping
> functionality may become a problem in terms of compatibility if one library
> uses Tango and the other Phobos for say IO streams, but as said earlier.
> Making Tango (any part related to IO especially) a wrapper around Phobos
> don't at all make sense in that respect, and will not happen. If someone
> wants to do the opposite, or create a wrapper around both, sure. You seem
> to think that the Tango team should be ahead of such a process, but
> considering that we already solved our problems by not using Phobos, that
> would be a turn in the wrong direction for us?

In fact I think there is necessary dialog between Tango team AND Walter
to solve problem.

I was not suggesting that Tango should work on top of Phobos. I was
rather suggesting that profiling libraries (Phobos - low level; Tango -
higher level) will cause to be *much less* conflicting points between
libraries and better synergy while keeping relative high independence
between authors of libraries.

In such a case BOTH libraries could be threated as standard. And once
again: I don't think that if there will be Phobos's writefln(), there
can not be Cout() from Tango. IMHO there is no problem that there would
be both, having completely different implementation. (Probably there
will be need for some synchronization, between them, to allow
interchangeable usage, but i am not sure.)

My proposal is rather to keep most used Phobos'es methods/classes in
Phobos, remove from Phobos high level function/classes (eg. net?). From
Tango should migrate to Phobos free functions (Math?, Variant?, core/
directory?).

I don't want to go much into details because it needs much better
analysis than I can give. My post is more about choosing good strategy
to merge libraries...

But maybe I just don't see, why it is not possible to choose such a
strategy... Then please let me/us know why it won't work, if I can ask...

Also nobody from community has commented about such idea, so maybe it's
just wrong way... Would be great to get some more opinions...

BR
Marcin Kuszczak
(aarti_pl - www.zapytajmnie.com)