Tango compatability with Phobos

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 15 07:42:12 PDT 2007

"Kris" wrote
> From all the threads so far, this is what I've surmised:
>
> For those people who need to run Tango-based and phobos-based code
> side-by-side, it appears to be fine that the higher-level elements are
> different. As long as the principal modules of both operate happily on
> some common runtime package, then it's cool.
>
> Based on that assertion, we'll make some changes and get it working. If
> the assertion is not correct, then please say so ...

I think this is the right move, fix the least common denominator, and get
the thing working.  If we can find a way to merge the higher level
constructs, then it can be accomplished later.

This is not a perfect example, but I look at it as a similar situation to
FILE * and printf vs. std::ostream and operator<<.  Both are accessible from
C++, and they use different buffering techniques, which means you can't
interleave them and expect any deterministic ordering.  Some people prefer
printf, and that is fine, others prefer the streaming method and that is
also fine.  But there is not a restriction of "if you use a library with
printf's you can't use a library with C++ streams" like there is in D...

-Steve