Pointer arithmetic

Jarrett Billingsley kb3ctd2 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 15 18:52:04 PDT 2007

"Kyle Furlong" <kylefurlong at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:ff0qrg$16fk$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Alexander Panek wrote:
>> Kyle Furlong wrote:
>>> That being said, D can be used as a better C. (no preprocessor, modules,
>>> etc.)
>>
>> Definitely!
>> /me puts some emphasis marks around that post
>
> I guess to elaborate on this, since people might find it interesting, for
> x86 at least, D is a wonderful choice for OS design. I've worked with D in
> a couple of kernel programming cases, and while you dont have all the
> bells and whistles of the runtime with the GC and all of that, what you do
> get is a more sane, manageable C-like language.

Some friends and I are doing just that right now.  We're using GDC and its
extended ASM syntax to write an x86-64 exokernel OS.  It's certainly a lot
nicer to deal with than vanilla C, and with some of the basic runtime
elements defined / stubbed out, you don't miss some of the more dynamic
features that much.  (We haven't gotten dynamic memory or even virtual
memory implemented yet ;) )