The great compromise of the D standard library

Darryl B darrylbleau at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 18:54:21 PDT 2007

== Quote from Ender KaShae (astrothayne at gmail.com)'s article
> I have great misgivings over the divide among the D community between standard
libriraries.  The contintion will no doubt eventually lead to a  schism reduce the
reusibility of D code.

I absolutely agree with this point. One of the first eyebrow-raising experiences
for me, moving to D, was learning of this 'alternate' standard library. The 'D'
standard library should be 'the' D standard library, shouldn't it? You may as well
be writing in a different language, going from one lib to the other. You really
have to specify which 'flavor' of D you use when speaking to others, and a Tango
dev may not even want to look at a problem someone has if they were using Phobos.
The separation of the 'D-Tango' and 'D-Phobos' factions is detrimental to the D
language as a whole, IMO.

That being said, I think it unlikely that 'merging' will even happen (which I
think would mostly end up more as 'Tango shoving Phobos out the window' than
'Merging', anyway), for the same reasons we have things like different window
managers (think KDE/Gnome). The best to hope for, I think, is that one lib becomes
so actively developed and used that the other lib just scurries away and finds a
nice comfortable place to die, leaving all of it's developers free to contribute
to the surviving lib.