D vs. C#

Kyle Furlong kylefurlong at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 14:03:02 PDT 2007

Mike wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have some advanced knowledge of programming with C and C++.
> While I like C for its simplicity and speed, it lacks some important functionality (like OO). I'm not very fond of C++, since it is quite clumsy. (But you know all that already)
>
> Anyway, I was looking for a new programming language for little projects. I looked into the specs of the D language and became quite fond of it. Anyway, I hear a lot of good things about C# as well.
> I am not experienced enough to compare the two simply on the basis of their specifications. I tried finding some comparison on the internet but failed to find anything more recent than from 2003.
>
> I was wondering about the advantages of either and languages, and in which case one is more appropriate than the other and I hope you can help me out!
>

> Many thanks in advance,
> Mike

C# provides all the niceties of a RAD IDE and a cohesive and very broad
standard library. You get this at the price of performance. C# is not
native, but runs in a VM like Java. While it does do some JITing, D and
other compiled languages will always be faster.

Additionally, I think D has a bit cleaner syntax, though C# is a huge
step up from C++ in that respect.

Oh, and if it matters to you, D templates and metaprogramming blow
anything C# has out of the water, yielding the potential for even more
performance increases.