D vs. C#

Dave Dave_member at pathlink.com
Mon Oct 22 07:58:14 PDT 2007

"Roberto Mariottini" <rmariottini at mail.com> wrote in message
news:ffi95a$1ihb$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Making D compilable for the Java VM today would make it immediately
> portable to tens of platforms (and hundreds of cell phones models), today.

Making a D to C translater for that might actually make more sense, given
the design of D and that all of the platforms would likely have a C compiler
available. Then all that would be missing would be ease of distributing a
single set of bytecode. Then again, binaries couldn't be reverse engineered
as easily as bytecode either.

In any case, GDC may have quite a few of those chips covered before either a
D bytecode compiler or C2D was done <g>.

Do the standard Java GUI libraries work the same for all cell phones, or in
general does each cell phone vendor have their own specialized library?
Walter had a great point earlier as well -- Is Java really "write once, run
anywhere" especially where GUI's are concerned? I recall a lot of complaints
where some things tended to work differently depending on the VM / platform
but maybe those cases are rare now-a-days.