D vs. C#

Roberto Mariottini rmariottini at mail.com
Tue Oct 23 00:34:34 PDT 2007

Dave wrote:

> "Roberto Mariottini" <rmariottini at mail.com> wrote in message
> news:ffi95a$1ihb$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> Making D compilable for the Java VM today would make it immediately
>> portable to tens of platforms (and hundreds of cell phones models),
>> today.
>>

> Making a D to C translater for that might actually make more sense,
> given the design of D and that all of the platforms would likely have a
> C compiler available. Then all that would be missing would be ease of
> distributing a single set of bytecode. Then again, binaries couldn't be
> reverse engineered as easily as bytecode either.
> In any case, GDC may have quite a few of those chips covered before
> either a D bytecode compiler or C2D was done <g>.

I know of no cell phone with a C compiler today.

> Do the standard Java GUI libraries work the same for all cell phones, or
> in general does each cell phone vendor have their own specialized
> library?

MIDP and CDC are strict standards to which cell phones producer adhere.
There are some vendor extensions, but they have few success: the scope
of Java ME programming is to make your application/game work on any cell
phone, so is in the developer interest to strictly apply the standard.

> Walter had a great point earlier as well -- Is Java really
> "write once, run anywhere" especially where GUI's are concerned? I
> recall a lot of complaints where some things tended to work differently
> depending on the VM / platform but maybe those cases are rare now-a-days.

Java is really "write once, run anywhere", I've never found a GUI
portability problem. The problems are the programmers that don't write
portable code (this is independent from Java: you can write non-portable
code in any language).

Ciao