D vs. C#

Robert Fraser fraserofthenight at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 17:59:12 PDT 2007

bearophile Wrote:

> Joel Lucsy Wrote:
> > Oh? Since when? I know for a fact it doesn't, especially since MS has a
> > new library they are constructing for .Net 3.5.
>
> I have done real tests of the nbody problem (from the Shootout site) of the C# code on an beta version of dotnet 3.0 and it runs almost two times faster than the D version (and the C++ version without parallel annotations), I have done those tests with a friend :-) I have seen with my eyes that it uses both cores of the CPU while running, while the D version uses one only. So maybe we are talking about a bit different things... There are many ways to mess things with quick tests, so I won't push this topic more :-)
>
> Bye,
> bearophile

Indeed, automatic parallelization is a strong argument for VMs right now, since it doesn't require code modification. At the conference, Walter mentioned that D might be getting automatic parallelization of pure functions, though. I'm just afraid this won't apply to member functions, and since my programming style is so OO, it won't help me.