Proposal: this.d

Jari-Matti Mäkelä jmjmak at utu.fi.invalid
Mon Sep 10 09:40:04 PDT 2007

kris wrote:

> The issue with this is bloat, where (1) D is not at all good at dropping
> modules that are not actually needed (they'll often get linked anyway),

It's not only bloat in the resulting object files. Most modeling tools
assume that packages only consist of modules. IMO the concept of "hybrid"
package/module isn't worth the trouble. Well, unless D 2.0 is a competition
where the winner is the one with most proposals - let's wait who comes up
with the first integrated email reader :P

> and (2) the "where the feck are we?" syndrome where you've no idea what
> module a specific symbol might come from, or whether half of the imports
> are even required anymore due to code-motion or other edits. The latter
> is partly why "import x.*;" is considered rather poor form in Java land.

'import x.*' is still better than 'import x.all' because it's always up to
date and guarantees that it imports all modules in the package. A lot of
developer time is wasted creating more or less buggy non-portable scripts
for creating those all.d files - not to mention some write them manually.
Removing the fuss around importing was an acceptable compromise for me to
switch to Eclipse in Java development.