const as per popular demand

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 14 13:11:20 PDT 2007

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007, Carlos Santander wrote:

> First, let me say that I haven't finished reading all those const posts.
> I still have 129 to go.
>
> What made me remember this was a post by Steven Schveighoffer where he asked
> "what's wrong with mutable?"
>
> Three months ago there was a poll here:
> http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D&article_id=54361
> Mostly everyone agreed to be willing to at least try const by default. If we
> all are in the trying-stuff bandwagon, why can't we try that and just see what
> happens?
>
> I'll go back now to try to catch up. TGIF!
>
> --
> Carlos Santander Bernal

The debate about the default state is irrelevant until the meaning of the
state is actually agreed upon, or atleast an implementation is set that is
likely to stick around.  In other words, default to what sort of const?

Now, back to the regularly scheduled lack of agreements on what sorts of
constantness should exist.

Later,
Brad