Two "standard" libraries???

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 14 15:35:08 PDT 2007

I keep hearing discussions to the effect that "D has two standard
libraries" - by which one invariably means Phobos and Tango.

In what respect is Tango "standard"?

Here's how I see it.  D has one standard library.  That one standard library
is Phobos.  I.e. Phobos is part of the D standard.  Tango isn't.  Rather,
Tango is an _alternative_ to the standard library; to call Tango a standard
library strikes me as nonsense.

Of course, the divide in the community between Phobos users and Tango users
is real.  I can only agree with Mike Streatfield:

http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D&article_id=58294

But I wonder how much different it would be if people didn't regard Tango as
what it isn't.  I'm not sure if this can be said without implying disrespect
to the developer(s) of Tango, but for those who want _one_ standard library,
there's Phobos, which is the _real_ standard library, just as it was before
Tango was conceived.  The only thing that's complicating matters is people
deviating from the D standard by writing libraries that depend on Tango and
are thus incompatible with Phobos....

Comments?

Stewart.