Two "standard" libraries???

Carsten Sørensen cso at rift.dk
Fri Sep 14 18:22:49 PDT 2007

Derek Parnell wrote:
> That is why I mentioned "consideration for each other". Both Walter and the
> Tango crew will need to give ground and co-operate to arrive at a good
> outcome for us innocent bystanders.

I couldn't agree more.

I turned up late at the D party, and I have to say - this place is on
FIRE. Good vibes. Tell your friends, cos this is where it's happening.

But man, I wish those two guys in the corner would just get along you
know? They're just ruining the mood.

Seriously, as a late comer is pretty difficult to choose between phobos
and tango, because you really do have to make a choice here. Either you
stick with the default and its defects or the new kid and try to forget
about all the other software out there.

There are so many libraries I'd like to use, but it seems none are
compatible.

Diversity here is NOT a good thing. Sun fought Microsoft over this very
issue and won (thank God). D needs ONE standard library to succeed.

What I would like to see is tango being adopted as _the_ standard
library for D. Clean slate. Possibly with a phobos compatibility layer.
If that's not possible, simply drop phobos and force people to use to
use tango with D 3.0. It might seem like a big deal, there's well over
100.000 posts on these groups, but seriously - compared to the C++,
Ruby, Python or any other community we're tiny, and it's now the
decision has to be made.

Best regards,
Carsten Sørensen