D Conference Tango Phobos

Janice Caron caron800 at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 15 11:33:09 PDT 2007

On 9/15/07, TomD <t_demmer_no_spam_ at web.de> wrote:
> What really worries me is the total absence of Walter in this discussion. I had another look at Tango and again came to the result I do not like it. It would really be a pity seeing Phobos going down the drain.

I had not looked at Tango before this discussion, but now that I have,
I have to say I don't like it either. It's not the functionality that
irks me, it's the /style/. I mean:

import tango.io.Stdout;
Stdout( i )( " = " )( s ).newline;

Module names in mixed case!? Did the Tango folk not read the D style
guide where it says "Module and package names are all lower case, and
only contain the characters [a..z][0..9][_]", or did they just
purposefully decide to avoid it? If the former, that was amateurish;
if the latter, it was petty.

Function names in mixed case? I assume Stdout is a function. Phobos
has function names in lower case, and that's how I like them.

Currying parameters? (That's the malarky with the brackets). What's
wrong with variadic arguments?

And what's with the .newline? Isn't "\n" supposed to translate to the
platform-specific linebreak convention? Besides, it looks weird,
having the newline specified differently from all the other bits of
output.

I was happy with:

import std.stdio;
writefln(i," = ",s);

I still am. I don't see that changing any time soon.

Granted, Tango has extra functionality, but why not just provide that
as add-ons to Phobos, using the same style and naming conventions?

My apologies if I come across as contentious. I realise I'm a newbie
in this group. But that is the first impression I get from looking at
the Tango docs. I just ask myself over and over again, "Why did they
do that?" (...which should be regarded as a rhetorical question which
really means "I wish they hadn't done that").