Thinking about stack traces in D

Myron Alexander someone at somewhere.com
Sun Sep 16 18:50:27 PDT 2007

kris wrote:
> That's nice of you to say so ... thanks from all of us:
> http://www.dsource.org/projects/tango/wiki/Contributors
>
> :)

The picture is very scary. Please don't hurt me :)

Is that really a picture of the team? The plastic clothing is done very
well although I would not be able to stop myself popping the bubbles :)

> Interesting idea! I wonder if such detail might perhaps belong in a
> logging layer instead of an exception layer? It is provocative,
> regardless :)

I am looking at code structure from many different angles. Exception
design use-cases and methodology is my current mad experiment as I have
not been happy with the way they work in the frameworks and platforms I
tried. Java is a case in point. I do a lot of Java development but find
most library exceptions to be cryptic and very difficult to use
programmatically; especially the JDBC exceptions. Every attempt to build
fault tolerant systems that work with JDBC brings forth cussing to
obliterate entire forests of cuss-burs. Then a promise to show "them"
how a database interface should be done. As it turns out, promises are
easier said than done :)

> (and, I enjoyed your "prep for winter" analogy)

Thanks. My current favourite animal is the saber-tooth squirrel from Ice
Age. Whenever I code, I think of that squirrel and his nut. All he wants
is the most simple thing but even the simplest things can get complex.
Somehow, thinking about the squirrel and his antics led me to the
analogy but I cannot stop thinking about the one scene where he tries to
defrost the nut and ends up with popcorn; reminds me of a significant
portion of my code :)

Keep up the good work with Tango.

Myron.