favorite GUI lib for D

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Tue Sep 18 12:14:05 PDT 2007

Stewart Gordon wrote:
> "Bill Baxter" <dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com> wrote in message
> news:fcj1vi$17pt$1 at digitalmars.com...
> <snip>
>> I've yet to see any GUI app written in D that was more than a toy.
>> Has anyone written a serious GUI app in D?
>
> If you're distinguishing between small, experimental programs and
> fully-fledged apps worthy of being released to the masses, then yes.
> Empire, for instance, although this wasn't written with a GUI library.
>
> If you're distinguishing between games/other 'fun' apps and programs
> with a real practical purpose, then yes again.  MDI Edit, one of the
> example apps bundled with SDWF, is a simple text editor application.
>
> If you want something that fits both definitions of a serious
> application, then Entice Designer may be the best example so far.  But
> that's still of interest primarily to D programmers, and especially
> users of one GUI library.  So I suppose the next stage is to bring out
> something that meets the criteria for "serious" and will have more
> widespread appeal.

Entice fits the bill.  The MDI Edit example from SDWF may too.  I
haven't seen it.  By 'toy' I just meant more than a page or two of code.
  Now that I think about it wxWidgets has some fairly complex demos too.
  If Anders has ported those then they'd fit the bill too.

It would be nice if there were some high-visibilty open source end-user
app written in D.  Like maybe a bittorrent client or something.

--bb