favorite GUI lib for D

Kevin Watters kevinwatters at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 18:35:11 PDT 2007

Bedros Hanounik wrote:
> what's the favorite GUI lib for D? I mean something that's still actively developed. I found few messages in the archive about D GUI libs, but it seems that those lib are obsolete.

When it comes to GUI toolkits I never understand why you would ever
paint your own controls.  Even toolkits like QT which the style APIs of
the OS suffer because of it--on Vista, for example, you don't get the
glowing effect buttons have on a mouseover.

I know that sounds trivial, but the point goes further when you consider
all the intricacies of event handling that users are used to on their
own platform.

For these reasons, MinWin was by far my favorite:

http://www.dsource.org/projects/minwin

It seemed to use the most D-like approach, with templates and compile
time logic to make the smallest and most native code possible.

The idea was great, but I remember trying it when it was pretty early
and it was definitely still very rough around the edges and missing big
features you'd probably want.