Handling constructive criticism

Neal Alexander wqeqweuqy at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 17 10:59:33 PDT 2008

Homer wrote:
> Walter Bright Wrote:
>> Derek Parnell wrote:
>>> The current development model is no longer the best one for a better D.
>> If you put 100 people working on the D compiler, it probably wouldn't
>> move forward any faster. Take a look at the D compiler progress vs
>> compilers for other languages with teams working on them.
>
> I agree the D compiler is already pretty good. But just 10-20 people working on it would definitely polish D to a new level. Please Walter, I urge you to some how allow more developers on the D compiler. If you can't manage people, you have to elect someone you really trust to take care of it and discuss the key things weekly.

How hard would it be to make something that just translates D 1.0 source
into intermediate C/C++ code before feeding it through the users
compiler of choice? It would fix object-format incompatibility issues
and we'd have a compiler with a real optimizer.

Sure its just papering over the issue, but its probably unrealistic to
expect that theres going to be several vendors producing D compilers any
time soon.