D adoption prerequisites

Koroskin Denis 2korden at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 14:58:04 PDT 2008

I believe there are at least 4 steps that we need to take for D adoption.

1) First of all, D should be true "next generation" language :)
That's Walter's task. We discuss proposals here, at digitalmars.D

2) Next-generation de facto D GUI library
Reality is, most programms are GUI-based, not console ones.
That's why we need GUI library, one that would fulfill /all/ the use cases.
One that is easy, fast, extensible, cross-platform etc.
I'll give my detailed view on it in a separate thread later.
Should be discussed on digitalmars.DWT or a new one

3) Open-source Tools! Next-generation IDE is the goal.
a) D Parser.
b) D compiler, based on D Parser.
c) D intellisense, based on D Parser. Pluggable, customizable.
d) D debugger.
e) IDE that makes use of D intellisense D debugger and D compiler.
One with refactoring, CTFE from within IDE, template debugging, etc.
Should be discussed on digitalmars.IDE

And the biggest one:
4) Standardization. Both standard library and language itself.
All we have now is Phobos and Tango. None of them are in no way standard.
What we have is Implementation. Instead, we need Interfaces, Prototypes and
Rationale. The same goes for a language itself.
I'll give my detailed view on it in a separate thread.
Should be discussed on digitalmars.DTL or a new one

Your opinion?