D adoption prerequisites

Robert Fraser fraserofthenight at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 15:28:57 PDT 2008

Koroskin Denis wrote:
> 3) Open-source Tools! Next-generation IDE is the goal.

This is the only one I can comment on. With regards to Descent (there
are other D IDEs out there that are very good as well), Ary has
implemented all of the following:

> a) D Parser.
> b) D compiler, based on D Parser.

Check, check. The compiler doesn't generate code, but it does a full
background compile to resolve types and bindings, which is needed for
autocomplete and go-to-definition as well as some other things.

> c) D intellisense, based on D Parser. Pluggable, customizable.

Good intellisense needs semantic information, so actually needs a full
front-end compile, not just a parse tree. Descent's has this. There are
a few other D IDEs that just use the parse trees, but that still
provides serviceable autocomplete for most purposes.

> d) D debugger.

Descent doesn't have its own debugger, but integrates GDB and DDBG. I
want to add ZeroBugs support soon.

> e) IDE that makes use of D intellisense D debugger and D compiler.
> One with refactoring, CTFE from within IDE, template debugging, etc.
> Should be discussed on digitalmars.IDE

Well, it's in progress ;-P!