A Fresh Look at Comparisons, Take 2

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Fri Apr 18 18:03:47 PDT 2008

Janice Caron wrote:
> On 18/04/2008, Yigal Chripun <yigal100 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  may I ask you to please
>>  add this suggestion to there as an enhancement request
>
> Not yet. I'm not sure there's a consensus at this stage. I tend to
> throw idea out and see how well they float, and there may be problems
> no one's thought of yet. Let's wait and see how it pans out. But yeah
> - if it pans out, I can do that eventually.

The discussion has gone back and forth so much that if you do get
consensus it's likely to be a consensus of 2 or 3 people.  If you want a
wider audience I suggest writing up the proposal in its final form.

This is not only relevant for this particular thread, but in general if
you want to get consensus on these long threads, then you should
condense the contents down and make an official proposal out of it.

Perhaps you might find these guidelines from Python PEP process useful:
http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0001/#what-belongs-in-a-successful-pep

Not many people are going to read a big long thread to try to piece
together what the proposal actually is.  Especially the one person who
really matters here, Walter.  So if you think it's a super idea then you
should write it up in a condensed format.  For now you can post it to
the NG.  Or on a wiki page somewhere.  Anything that gives the proposal
a specific single-page URL for future reference instead of "check out
this thread".

Just the 2c of someone who, like Walter, is not likely to re-read the
entirety of this thread to see if he agrees or not.

--bb