const

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Sat Apr 26 05:59:12 PDT 2008

Bill Baxter wrote:

> And while on the subject of "readonly", am I misreading this or is
> Walter basically the *only* one who thinks this sounds like it means
> "does not change ever".  I think if you did a study asking programmers
> to rank the unchanging-ness of various const words, you'd get a result
> with "readonly" coming out much weaker than "constant".  The fact that
> all the words mean effectively the same thing does not mean that
> everyone perceives the nuances in the same way.  And if an overwhelming
> majority perceive "readonly" to have weaker meaning than "constant" or
> "invariant" it seems reasonable to choose that or some variation of it
> as the word that means the weaker form.
>
> --bb

Yes! Exactly what I was about to say! My opinion, (and I'm sure, the
opinion of many if not all of my programmer friends/colleagues, if I
were to ask them) it that 'readonly' is a much weaker meaning than the
other words. So the idea that "const, readonly, invariant, and immutable
all mean exactly the same thing." is really just the opinion of Walter
and a few either imaginary (like Don mentioned) or obsolete people.

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Developer, MSc. in CS/E graduate