const

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Sat Apr 26 06:27:13 PDT 2008

Sean Kelly wrote:

> This is why I've never understood the argument that a language must have
> as few keywords as it can get away with.  In my experience, having the same
> symbol represent multiple concepts tends to cause confusion.  The ideal
> situation is to have a simple syntax so only a few keywords are necessary,
> but barring that, I'd think that choosing an expressive and appropriate
> symbology for each situation would be best.  To me, it seems that the
> "minimize keyword count" idea began as a way to verify conceptual
> simplicity and has since become an arbitrary metric that measures
> nothing.
>

> Sean

The idea of minimizing keywords is because Walter said that there are
people who look at the amount of keywords and find that too many
keywords means that the language is cluttered and has a bad design.
Seems like another case of caring to people who are either imaginary,
obsolete, or just plain dumb.
(like calling bugs 'issues', because some people think many bugs are
synonymous with bad product quality)

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Developer, MSc. in CS/E graduate