Tango vs Phobos

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Sat Aug 9 12:46:34 PDT 2008

== Quote from Graham St Jack (graham.stjack at internode.on.net)'s article
> Quite a while ago there was talk of rearranging Tango and Phobos so that
> they share the same runtime, allowing BOTH libraries to be available in
> the same compiler installation.

This has been the case for ages via the Tango / Tangobos bundled release.

> It looks to me as though D2 is stabilising, so now seems to be a good
> time to rationalise the two libraries in D2. I use D2 because I want the
> const stuff (and some other nice things too), but that locks me out of
> Tango and all the other libraries that use it, most notably GUI libraries.
> Is anything happening on this front?

I can update the Tango runtime once I find the time, but some of the coding
approaches in the Tango user code aren't entirely compatible with D 2.0.
This was the original inspiration for the "scoped const" proposal.  In short,
it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect the Tango runtime to support D 2.0,
but my understanding is that making the user code support D 2.0 would
require a redesign in some cases, which is unlikely to occur.

Sean