Tango vs Phobos

Lars Ivar Igesund larsivar at igesund.net
Tue Aug 12 08:43:18 PDT 2008

dsimcha wrote:

> What about, at least initially, releasing a subset of Tango for D2 and
> gradually
> porting more as issues are fixed?  For example, just for now, just release
> whatever subset of Tango is high-level enough to run on top of the D2
> Phobos runtime and isn't plagued too severely by const issues, even if it
> doesn't mesh
> perfectly, i.e. requires some casting, etc. on the part of client code.

There isn't really a subset of Tango that can run on top of any Phobos
runtime. The Tango runtime probably works fine with D2 without any major
changes, it is the user library that is problematic. The work on the
porting has begun in a branch in Tango's svn repository, but cannot be
continued properly until certain issues are fixed.

> I'm not really sure, but I would guess that this would leave a reasonably
> large subset with plenty of useful things.
>
> To be honest, I'm not sure how feasible this is, but I thought I would
> throw it
> out there as a suggestion.  Tango is a huge library with tons of nice
> stuff, and it seems like a shame that D2 users can't use any of it if only
> parts of it are broken.

It is typically the behaviour of certain core parts (text manipulation, io)
that doesn't work properly, and so most of the other parts of Tango won't
work either. Right now it isn't really compilable either if I understand
correctly. But we got people on it! :)

Really, it would be swell if Tango could work with D2, but currently D2 is
not usable for a library like Tango.

--
Lars Ivar Igesund
blog at http://larsivi.net