Tango vs Phobos

Lutger lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 01:40:50 PDT 2008

Robert Fraser wrote:
> I see the D community heading for a split. One side will be D1 (hopefully
> a D 1.5) +tango, and the other side will be D2+phobos.  I don't think of
> this as a bad thing nessescarily, just two different directions.

I find this all to be a bit confusing. A 'split' was kind of inevitable
since the D2 branch and the phobos / tango division. (Actually since D2
there was more unification for a while, because a stable version of D
didn't exist before.) But this kind of split was (is?) also something
temporary and had workarounds (tangobos). At least I perceived it as
temporary, until now.

What do you mean by a D 1.5? This all gives the vague impression there is a
movement towards forking the language itself. That's not a split in the D
community, more like part of the D community saying goodbye and starting
their own language with a seperate community. I hope I'm wrong here, but
would like to know if this is the case or intent.