The Death of D. (Was Tango vs Phobos)

superdan super at dan.org
Thu Aug 14 09:18:17 PDT 2008

Yigal Chripun Wrote:

> Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
> >
> > Slightly OT, and directed at this whole situation: I just sit back and
> > laugh.  *This* is open-source software?  *This* is the supposed "freedom"
> > and "openness" that the whole movement is about?  People bickering for a
> > _year_ over minutiae of licenses which are supposed to promote free use?
> >
> > What have we accomplished?
> >

> Someone once told me that the place with the most politics is academia.
> the professors have so little decision power that they argue (intensely)
> about the smallest and stupidest of things.
> I guess you can say the same thing here: all the code is "open" and
> therefore everyone argues about the smallest details left to argue about
> like  who's name is written on the copyright (and in what order) and
> stuff like that. besides, how can a person steal free code?!

intercourse yeah. applies to any place with low stakes. the lower the stakes the weirder the contest.

when i worked for intel i visited their facilities in india. long story. so there's these two young brothers heading the office in b'lore. i got to hang out with them for a while. they were first generation in their family to ever wear shoes and prolly their kids would be the first generation to not shit in the street. and they was rich by indian std. now each dood drove a mercedes from intel as a work perk. they didn't own the cars. that's how it works there. identical so far as i could tell. and after a month on indian roads all cars look the same. but i digress. so i get them a bit drunk (easy but i digress again) and their insecurities come fore. guess what was their problem. one said his merc is longer than his brothers'. the morons really start to quarrel. finally they get to the parking lot and start drawing signs in the dirt and measure stuff. i kid you not. one actually does win by 3cm. must've been diff in the bumper n mask paraphernalia. the other's pissed. it was priceless. i should've shot the whole thing on tape.

> the problem with OSS is that it's free. if it where closed than it would
> be a matter of the amount of money which can be negotiated and agree upon.
> OSS is free therefore the only thing that matters is one's pride and
> that cannot be negotiated.
>

> In this Specific case:
> Walter needs his name on all the Phobos code and he stated his valid
> reasons for it. Tango developers want their names on the Tango code and
> rightly so, since they wrote it. in case of a merger of those two code
> bases you get one joint code base but *two* teams that want their name
> on the code. someone has to be first.
>
> all I can say is that I hope this gets resolved soon for the benefit of
> everyone here.

still tryin' to figure what interests are at play here. who cares about what? and who wants what? no idea. not holding my breath on resolving. they've been at it for a year.