Tango vs Phobos

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Thu Aug 14 10:59:53 PDT 2008

Don wrote:
> Robert Fraser wrote:
>> Sean Kelly Wrote:
>>
>>> == Quote from Moritz Warning (moritzwarning at web.de)'s article
>>> Unfortunately, for this to be resolved it requires cooperation from both
>>> sides.  It takes two to Tango, as they say (sorry, bad joke).
>>
>> I see the D community heading for a split. One side will be D1
>> (hopefully a D 1.5) +tango, and the other side will be D2+phobos.  I
>> don't think of this as a bad thing nessescarily, just two different
>> directions.
>
> I desperately hope not. I'm strongly active in both camps.
> I'm heartily sick of this situation. std.math and tango.math.Math/
> tango.math.IEEE are now a cut and paste of each other, barring a very
> small number of lines. I want a single code base, but I'm not sure what
> more I can do.

I don't particularly like the status quo either, but as the maintainer
of the runtime there's little I can do for Phobos.  It's already been
established that the Phobos user code will run on the Tango runtime with
basically no modifications (the reverse isn't true), and D2 support
simply requires time I don't have at the moment.  I'm not sure what else
to do here.

Sean