The Death of D. (Was Tango vs Phobos)

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 15 12:43:07 PDT 2008

"Sean Kelly" wrote
> Robert Fraser wrote:
>>>
>>> See above.  That would be fine except for the confusion it would cause
>>> for readers of our book.  Also, maintenance responsibility is a
>>> potential issue.  None of these issues are addressed by a simple desire
>>> to share code.
>>>

>>> Sean
>>
>> I suppose the magic of aliases and templates couldn't help at all here
>> (i.e. make tango.Thread a compile-time wrapper around std.runtime.thread
>> ...?)
>
> Currently, it's the opposite with Tango/Tangobos (std.thread.Thread
> basically aliases tango.core.Thread.Thread).  But I consider this to be
> too much of a hack to have as a long-term solution.

The tango.core.Thread alias would be a convenience for backwards
compatibility.  It can be discouraged in favor of std.runtime.Thread.

The only palatable solution I see is for a common namespace to exist.  If
you insist on the thread portion living in a namespace such as
tango.core.Thread, then I can't see Phobos adopting that, and you are
killing this whole compatibility project :(

-Steve