The Death of D. (Was Tango vs Phobos)

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Fri Aug 15 13:09:37 PDT 2008

Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> "Sean Kelly" wrote
>> Robert Fraser wrote:

>>> I suppose the magic of aliases and templates couldn't help at all here
>>> (i.e. make tango.Thread a compile-time wrapper around std.runtime.thread
>>> ...?)
>> Currently, it's the opposite with Tango/Tangobos (std.thread.Thread
>> basically aliases tango.core.Thread.Thread).  But I consider this to be
>> too much of a hack to have as a long-term solution.
>
> The tango.core.Thread alias would be a convenience for backwards
> compatibility.  It can be discouraged in favor of std.runtime.Thread.
>
> The only palatable solution I see is for a common namespace to exist.  If
> you insist on the thread portion living in a namespace such as
> tango.core.Thread, then I can't see Phobos adopting that, and you are
> killing this whole compatibility project :(

I would very much like to see a single standard library for D.  But
certainly you can see that what you're asking is for Tango to forego all
the consideration that has gone into its current design simply because
Phobos is somehow inviolate, while at the same time Phobos for some
reason wants to benefit from all the work that has gone into Tango.  I'd
hardly consider this collaboration, so you can perhaps understand why
some of the other Tango team members aren't quite so cooperative as I
have been.

Truth be told, my desire to be conciliatory has long since been replaced
with a desire to simply be done with the drama.  So regardless of my
opinion above (which is admittedly rather jaded and defensive), or
perhaps in light of the reasons behind it, I'm mostly interested in just
moving on.  And because of this, I don't feel it's fair for me to speak
for the rest of the Tango team.  I'm simply hoping to clear the air and
am following through with the promises I made to Walter a year ago when
we last discussed all this.

Sean