[OT] - does IP exist?

Yigal Chripun yigal100 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 19:29:26 PDT 2008

Jb wrote:
> "Yigal Chripun" <yigal100 at gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:g8adb5$f92$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> Copyright is about some person A decides to give the information TO
>> person B AND ALSO forcefully deny that person B to make the same
>> decision for themselves.
>
> No it's not. That's not it at all.
>
> For example I can give you a recording of a song I wrote. You could work out
> the tune and melody, and then teach the song to other people. You can even
> perform the song in public. (at least in the UK).

that's irrelevant.

> If i gave you a book I wrote you could share the information in the book
> with other people. You can talk about it, tell them about, you could even
> write your own book on the subject.

again irrelevant.

> What you cant do is copy my book and give it to other people, nor can you
> copy my book and pass it off as your own work.

two things:
A) I now have a copy of your book which I should be able to do what ever
I want with it - including copying it, however you just said I can't
copy it. hence, you prevented me from doing whatever I want  with it. Do
you need this to be spelled formally with math?

B) passing off someone else's work as my own is not and should never be
connected with copyright. The fact that OSS licenses need to specify
this in the copyright is ridiculous. this should be by default. No
matter if the work is entirely closed source by MS or put in public
domain by Walter Bright, you should never be able to steal someone
else's credit.
This should be handled (I think) by slender laws or something like that.

> Copyright does not stop you sharing information. It stops you copying other
> peoples work.
>
> What will it take to get you to understand this?

when you buy a chair, you own the chair and can do what ever you want
with it including manufacturing by yourself a copy of it and give it
away for free. you cannot copyright a chair. copyright prevents that for
software hence limiting my rights (the inherit rights of the public).
this limitation needs to be justifiable and this is the core of the
argument. What will it take to get you to understand that??