Why so many theoretical discussions when ...

Denis Koroskin 2korden at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 08:37:21 PDT 2008

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 18:49:50 +0400, Vincent Richomme
<forumer at smartmobili.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am watching this newsgroup everyday and it's like a drug but I can see
>   so many discussions about implementation, performances, ...
> The problem is as D user I just want a good language and if the first
> implementation is not very fast I don't give a f..
> It seems your are talking about what could be done but why don't you
> just take in account current issues.
> If you look a few posts before mine you could see for instance :
>
> 'package' and access from subpackages.., it seems that there are some
> limitations to the package concept..
>
> Why don't developpers focus on this ?

It's a problem, people see and understand, but there is nothing else we
can do.

> I know that it's important to discuss theory but won't it be better to
> provide something consistent ?

One of the reason holywars are so popular because everyone has its own
"religion", he is comfortable with it and sure that he is absolutely
right. There is a large place for debate. :)

> And when you discuss like this, it seems that nothing happens in terms
> of development. For instance GDC compiler doesn't evolve quickly...
> I don't see any changes in DMD compiler either.

These are mostly single-person projects and it looks like people are
somewhat unwanted there.
OTOH, llvmdc is having great progress in development, more open and more
promising.