More phpBB like forum?

Derek Parnell derek at psych.ward
Tue Dec 9 13:01:40 PST 2008

On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 15:25:24 -0500, Daniel White wrote:

> Sean Kelly Wrote:
>
>> I think there must be a generation gap here.  The first thing
>> look for is a newsgroup dedicated to a subject.  After that,
>> a mailing list.  I have basically no interest in web forums.

> There must be forums out there that feel faster than say, phpBB.
> But in any case, the advantages that forums in general have over
> newsgroups (many of which have been mentioned in this thread)
> seem hard to ignore.

I am also a person that dislikes using web-based forums. If one is
established, it would hope that posting to it would also automatically post
to the nttp server and visa versa. I realize that many people like
web-based forums, but I have always found them to be be awkward, slow, and
inconvenient. A good nttp reader is not hard to find. I use 40tude-dialog
which enables me to see the posts as either flat or threaded at my
pleasure.

--
Derek Parnell
Melbourne, Australia