More phpBB like forum?

Jarrett Billingsley jarrett.billingsley at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 15:12:40 PST 2008

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 5:34 PM, Daniel White <twinbee42 at skytopia.com> wrote:
>> and - the big one for me - remote state
>
> Is it just me, or can't this be achieved by going to the "Web-New"
> section at:
> http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?search_txt=&group=digitalmars.D
>
> This is better than what I've seen before, as it's threaded properly.

Not at all what I'm looking for.  Basically all I want out of a
"public discussion area" interface (whatever it is) is that I can see
what messages I haven't yet read.  The web-news interface does not do
that.

The other problem with the web-news interface is that it's a piece of
shit.  It breaks threading, it doesn't obey many RFCs, the interface
itself is terrible (as someone, maybe you, mentioned, it doesn't
thread entire conversations, only a given number of posts), and it's
just broken in some areas.  For example, if you are on any board other
than digitalmars.D, clicking replies _does not work_ as it takes you
to the "right" message ID on the *wrong board*.

Also, stop top-posting, unless you want to feel the wrath of one of
the people who feels it's their moral obligation to berate those who
top-post.  (top-posting is putting the quoted post after your own, if
you didn't know already.)