Java's development cycle

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Tue Dec 9 19:34:32 PST 2008

Robert Fraser wrote:
> There are a lot of great
> language features, but C# and D are starting to look like monsters with
> their "everything in the kitchen sink" approach (c.f. C++). In Java,
> there's usually one way to do something. Sure, occasionally that way
> doesn't fit, but more often than not, it's better than having 10 ways,
> none of which are used consistently.

I wish it were possible to have a language with just a small set of
features that can do everything. C++'s problem is it can approximately
do everything but with a boatload of gotcha's, like a const system that
almost works but doesn't deliver. Java threw out too much.

It's like when I was a kid working on my car. I only had the barest
basic set of tools, as I had no money. Most of the work I did was twice
as difficult as it needed to be because I had to make do with basic
tools. Now that I'm older, I just go buy the right tools, and man that
makes things easier. And yes, I have a shop with a lot of tools in it <g>.

For example, it's so nice to have an actual *drill press* rather than a
cheapo electric drill.