More phpBB like forum?

Janderson ask at me.com
Tue Dec 9 22:29:01 PST 2008

Walter Bright wrote:
> Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 2:24 PM, Walter Bright
>>> Yeah, but if it's all on the server (like reddit, slashdot) there's
>>> another
>>> problem. If you're engaged in an active topic, there's no way to quickly
>>> scan the page to see if anything new is posted. There's no way to
>>> tell what
>>> you've read and what you haven't.
>>
>> Have you used a web forum?  They show you precisely what you have and
>> haven't read.
>
> Yes, I've used them. Reddit, Digg, Stackoverflow, and Slashdot do *not*
> show you what you have and have not read. I've used other fora too, and
> they don't show either. They'll show what *thread* I've clicked on
> before, but not what I've read. (And how could they, when all the
> messages are expanded on one page?)

Some boards like the company I work for's "League of Lengends" community
forum (forums.leagueoflegends.com) have several pages which makes it
easier to find unread threads.  Also if there is a new post to the
thread, that thread is moved to the top and marked as unread again.  Not
quite what your asking for but pretty close.

-Joel