dmd platform support - poll

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Sat Dec 27 05:05:00 PST 2008

On 2008-12-25 15:30:52 -0500, Walter Bright <newshound1 at digitalmars.com> said:

> What platforms for dmd would you be most interested in using?
>
> .net
> jvm
> mac osx 32 bit intel
> mac osx 64 bit intel
> linux 64 bit
> windows 64 bit
> freebsd 32 bit
> netbsd 32 bit
>
> other?

I'm on a PowerPC Mac right now so none of this is going to be very
useful to me.

That said, I'd be very happy if I could bundle a good D compiler with
my D plugin for Xcode, even if it's Intel-only. Currently, the only
option is GDC which isn't very appealing in its current state. GDC has
one advantage though: it's super easy to build universal binaries
(PowerPC + Intel architecture in one executable). Having an Intel-only
compiler is a disadvantage when developing Mac apps. A consolation is
that this will fade over time as PowerPC Macs will get replaced by new
ones.

So in my order of preference:

Mac OS X 32 bit PowerPC
Mac OS X 32 bit Intel
Mac OS X 64 bit Intel
Mac OS X 64 bit PowerPC

(Not that I expect to see DMD generate PowerPC code in a near future.)

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://michelf.com/