dmd platform support - poll

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sat Dec 27 06:02:57 PST 2008

"Michel Fortin" <michel.fortin at michelf.com> wrote in message
news:gj595s$2bad$1 at digitalmars.com...
> On 2008-12-25 15:30:52 -0500, Walter Bright <newshound1 at digitalmars.com>
> said:
>
>> What platforms for dmd would you be most interested in using?
>>
>> .net
>> jvm
>> mac osx 32 bit intel
>> mac osx 64 bit intel
>> linux 64 bit
>> windows 64 bit
>> freebsd 32 bit
>> netbsd 32 bit
>>
>> other?
>
> I'm on a PowerPC Mac right now so none of this is going to be very useful
> to me.
>
> That said, I'd be very happy if I could bundle a good D compiler with my D
> plugin for Xcode, even if it's Intel-only. Currently, the only option is
> GDC which isn't very appealing in its current state. GDC has one advantage
> though: it's super easy to build universal binaries (PowerPC + Intel
> architecture in one executable). Having an Intel-only compiler is a
> disadvantage when developing Mac apps. A consolation is that this will
> fade over time as PowerPC Macs will get replaced by new ones.
>
> So in my order of preference:
>
> Mac OS X 32 bit PowerPC
> Mac OS X 32 bit Intel
> Mac OS X 64 bit Intel
> Mac OS X 64 bit PowerPC
>
> (Not that I expect to see DMD generate PowerPC code in a near future.)

Ordinarily, I would agree with the need for PowerPC Mac support. But when
one spends time in the Apple world, they really need to accept the fact that
their systems will become abandoned at break-neck speed. That's just the way
the Apple world works these days, and that will continue to be standard
procedure for at least as long as Jobs in in charge.