dmd platform support - poll

Jim Hewes jimhewes at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 16:15:28 PST 2008

.NET

But *only* if D had a way to fully support RAII. Otherwise, I'd just as soon
use C#. I don't know if there is some technical reason why this couldn't be
done. But I think C# and Java missed the ball on that. To me, the biggest
pain in C# is that I need to implement Dispose and remember to call it. So D
might have an advantage if it could do this better.

I should add that maybe my vote shouldn't count as much because I don't
regularly use D at the moment although I like the language and I follow the
newsgroup. I normally use C# when I can and C++ when I have to, the latter
being 85% of the time at work. For our core product, we need to support
Windows 32 and 64-bit, Linux, Mac, WinCE (x86 and ARM). And we need to
export a C API. The only choice really is C++. I have to be honest, using D
there would be a hard sell.:-( But for our peripheral projects, like utility
apps and stuff, almost anything could be used. It's then a matter of getting
fellow coworkers to agree to use a different language, which they usually
would rather not do unfortunately.

If implementing D on .NET does nothing but increase its visibility as a
legitimate language choice, then maybe it's a good thing.

Jim