dmd platform support - poll

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 20:14:25 PST 2008

On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 12:50 PM, John Reimer <terminal.node at gmail.com> wrote:

> I may have actually reached a point where my motivation to upgrade was
> significantly dampened by the fact that PC's technology had finally
> progressed to a more acceptable usability/maintenance levels.  Improvements
> in technology seem to be less about usability now and more about power and
> performance.  Perhaps, we've just finally managed to shake all those legacy
> trappings that were hampering us for so long.

I think that's the real issue.  For the kinds of things 90% of users
need, current PCs are plenty fast.  Really faster than they need to
be. That's why computer hardware folks are sweating, particularly
processor makers.  The number of people who can benefit from their
latest and greatest is just not as large a percentage of folks as it
used to be.    I agree with Andrei that we haven't even come close to
the limit of the number of cycles we can use yet, but it seems we're
at a bit of a dip in terms of the number of useful new applications
possible with the number of cycles we have.  We have way more power
than we need for doing word processing, but still not enough to do
interesting AI.  That's assuming we even knew how to do some kind of
AI that would be useful to average users.

--bb