dmd platform support - poll

Derek Parnell derek at psych.ward
Sun Dec 28 01:18:30 PST 2008

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 17:57:39 -0500, Nick Sabalausky wrote:

> "Derek Parnell" <derek at psych.ward> wrote in message
> news:nkr1wyvyj3vv$.qr1gd1h779fx.dlg at 40tude.net...
>> On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 15:45:57 -0500, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>>
>>> ... judging by number of people here asking for
>>> 64-bit, I find it highly unlikely that most of them have plans to work on
>>> such things either.
>>
>> My interest in 64-bit hardware support is based on the belief that before
>> too long, buying a new 32-bit platform might be a difficult thing to do.
>> Five years from now, I don't want to be forced into finding a good
>> second-hand machine just so I can work with D.
>>

> I don't want to be forced into buying a new 64-bit machine just because a
> whole bunch of "gotta have the faciest stuff out there" people have deemed
> 32-bit insufficient for all computing needs.

And neither do I, but the momentum is far too strong for me to affect, so I
assume that it won't be long before I will be forced to get a 64-bit
machine - even if I don't want to.

> Besides, can't 64-bit machines run 32-bit code?

Sure, the same way the 32-bit machines run 16-bit software, and that's not
giving anyone troubles ;-)

--
Derek Parnell
Melbourne, Australia