Standard Library Concerns (Phobos / Tango)

Leandro Lucarella llucax at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 09:39:11 PST 2008

Tim Burrell, el  6 de febrero a las 11:47 me escribiste:
> Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> > Exactly the same feeling.
> >
> > Maybe GDC could make the step and provide tango as the standard library.
> > If successful, I guess DMD will follow that path.
>
> Honestly, I'd take this over no action, as it might spur Walter to
> follow suit, but it could actually end up being another a step backward
> for the language... then instead of two compilers and two competing
> standard libraries we've got two competing compilers that ship with
> different standard libs.  Ie, even more confusion for people new to the
> language!

If tangobos complies with phobos, is not a "different stantdard library"
it's a different *implementation* of the standard library (and some
additions, the tango API).

> I think it would go a long way if there could be some official action on
> this on Walter's part.

I think you missed the compatibility layer premise. If the new
implementation is backward compatible, what's the long way?