Standard Library Concerns (Phobos / Tango)

Christopher Wright dhasenan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 22:12:32 PST 2008

Ameer Armaly wrote:
> If we can get a systemm for accepting submitions to Phobos going, what if we
> made Tango a sort of expansion pack on top of it? I.E. Phobos addresses all
> the basic stuff, and Tango ditches all its standard library-ish code and
> becomes the "extended library" if you will. The way I see it the standard
> library should be fairly comprehensive without going in to actual nitches;
> that ought to be left to whatever expansion pack we put together. Thoughts?

- Tango's low-level stuff is of higher quality than that of Phobos,
everyone agrees.
- Most of the time, people are thinking mainly about string manipulation
stuff and console IO. Tango's IO routines are much faster than those
used in Phobos.

You want a Phobos-style wrapper around Tango. That's the best you could get.