Standard Library Concerns (Phobos / Tango)

Ameer Armaly ameer.armaly at furman.edu
Fri Feb 8 18:23:10 PST 2008

"Christopher Wright" <dhasenan at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:fogrsg$1iri$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Ameer Armaly wrote:
>> If we can get a systemm for accepting submitions to Phobos going, what if
>> we made Tango a sort of expansion pack on top of it? I.E. Phobos
>> addresses all the basic stuff, and Tango ditches all its standard
>> library-ish code and becomes the "extended library" if you will. The way
>> I see it the standard library should be fairly comprehensive without
>> going in to actual nitches; that ought to be left to whatever expansion
>> pack we put together. Thoughts?
>
> - Tango's low-level stuff is of higher quality than that of Phobos,
> everyone agrees.
> - Most of the time, people are thinking mainly about string manipulation
> stuff and console IO. Tango's IO routines are much faster than those used
> in Phobos.
>
> You want a Phobos-style wrapper around Tango. That's the best you could
> get.
The point is not to divide the actual code as much as it is to divide the
nitches. Take whatever the given library does best, and decide where it
should go. If Tango does IO faster, then we should somehow merge that in to
phobos. If certain parts of Phobos are too specialized, then they ought to
go in to Tango. The specifics of course are left open to debate.