Necessities for Adoption of D

Tyro[a.c.edwards] no at spam.com
Sat Feb 9 15:26:42 PST 2008

Hans W. Uhlig さんは書きました:
> Good morning everyone,
>     I am new to the D forums but I have been following D's progress for
> a good while.
>
> 2) A single standard library for most tasks - The whole Phobos here and
> Tango there and DWT someplace else makes picking up a language
> difficult. Not only that but as a Java Instructor I can simply point to
> the Sun java & javax library sets available and say here is something
> that can do that. In Suns case it may not do it well but its there.

I boggles the hell out of me every time someone comes and complains that
there are more than one standard library. I have never had that problem
and I can attest to you that my programming experience pales in
comparison to anyone on this newsgroup. There has only ever been one
standard library. Tango and its predecessor "Mango" was created because
patches submitted to Phobos were not readily implemented. But instead of
sitting around and complain about it, people actually took a positive
step to address the situation. It grew into what it is today because the
creators believe in what they are doing and continue to develop their
product. Of course, a good following (aka user base) is always a morale
booster. But if I recall correctly, the Tango Team has never claimed
that they are the standard and Walter has never endorsed it as the
"Other Standard". Don't get me wrong, it is a damn good library and
could easily become the standard. But as I sit here typing this message
it is most definitely not a standard.

This is plain asinine. Most, if not all complaints of this sort claim
that new users are hampered because the website is badly designed, there
are two standard libraries, there is no IDE, debugging support is
nonexistent or under par and the list goes on and on. As a novice
programmer, I’m here to tell you that these claims do not apply to
people who really want to learn the language. I really doesn’t even
require you to understand what you are doing to learn this language.
I’ve ported the Mersenne Twister on two separate occasions (both
original and SIMD versions) to D, and while I learned a little more
about D in the process of doing so, I still do not understand a whole
lot about programming. The amazing thing about this is that I learned
and did it all without any documentation other than the D website, the
source code, and asking a few questions here and there. My debugger was
me, my IDE was first notepad then I upgraded to UltraEdit because the
job paid for it. I used the only standard library D has: Phobos.

I've been able to do in D what I still cannot do in C++ which has only
one "STANDARD LIBRARY" and thousands of volumes of books dedicated to
explaining its every intricate detail. I've spent in excess of $5000
dollars to learn C++ and still cannot do in it what I can do in D on
which I've spent $0. Sorry, make that $10 since I did buy "Learn to
Tango with D". The language is not that difficult to learn especially if
you are a novice and have no preconceived ideas about what programming
should be. For those who come across with preconceived ideas, the site
provides enough to explain differences between D and C, D and C++, D and
JAVA and so on… To me, that is all you should require if you are an
experienced programmer.

Yes, bells and whistles can make easier. But is that truly a
showstopper? I don’t think so.

Regards,
Andrew