Totally OT: Quantum Mechanics proof for the existence of a Supreme Conciousness?

Don Clugston dac at nospam.com.au
Fri Feb 15 00:20:13 PST 2008

Craig Black wrote:
> "Gregor Richards" <Richards at codu.org> wrote in message
> news:fp2e2k$jvj$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> Craig Black wrote:
>>> I apologize for the inappropriate post, but I read this material last
>>> night and am still buzzing about it.  I just have to share it.  I
>>> personally am an agnostic, so not trying to preach anything, but I
>>> thought this was very interesting.  I didn't realize that modern science
>>> has such a solid theory about consciousness.  Namely, that there is only
>>> one conscious mind in the universe, and that matter is the result of
>>> observations of that mind.  At the subatomic level, there are only
>>> possibilities that require a mind to bring into actual reality.  And that
>>> mind is not Many but One.  The universe essentially consists of a single
>>> Indivisible Mind from which matter emmanates.
>>>
>>> Are these the ramblings of a deluded philosopher or religious cult?
>>> Nope. The conclusions that result due to observations and discoveries
>>> made by Werner Heisenberg, Erwin Schrödinger, and Niels Bohr, all
>>> pioneers of quantum mechanics.
>>>
>>> http://www.integralscience.org/ConsciousQM.html
>>>
>>> -Craig
>>>

>> I've seen this sort of argument a thousand times, and as per usual, it's
>> veiled in extremely long and complicated prose which completely ignores
>> one fact: There is a competing theory of quantum waveform collapse that
>> does not require one to hold the ridiculous belief that certain
>> complicated chemical reactions are endowed with the magical property of
>> consciousness. Better yet, this theory is extremely simple, and Occam's
>> Razor always likes simplicity. It is the many-worlds hypothesis.
>>
>> Essentially, the hypothesis this page (and so many others) professes as
>> proven truth is that the consciousness of a being causes the quantum state
>> of things that being observes to collapse. It requires that you believe
>> that certain beings are endowed with this mystical power of causing
>> collapse, which is contrary to hundreds of years of science suggesting
>> that humans (and all other forms of life) are physical/chemical/electrical
>> reactions (albeit extremely complicated ones).
>>
>> One property of quantum mechanics that has been observed and proven fairly
>> well is quantum entanglement. Put simply, one quantum state can be defined
>> with another quantum state as variables. A simplified example:
>>
>> 1) You have a cat in a box. For simplicity, we will say that it has a 50%
>> probability of being alive and a 50% probability of being dead.
>>
>> 2) You shoot the box. The bullet has a 99.99% probability of passing
>> through the box and the cat (killing it), and a 0.01% probability of
>> jumping spontaneously and missing the cat entirely.
>>
>> 3) Because the bullet affects the cat, the quantum state of the cat is now
>> defined with the bullet as a variable:
>>     The 50% chance that the cat was alive now becomes a 49.995% chance
>> that the cat is dead and a 0.005% chance the cat is dead.
> [...]

There was a wonderful article in New Scientist a few years ago called "Anything
Goes" by Marcus Chown which 'proves' that there are an infinite number of universes:

"This fine-tuning has two possible explanations. Either the Universe was
designed specifically for us by a creator or there is a multitude of universes—a
"multiverse". "

http://environment.newscientist.com/article/mg15821375.100-anything-goes.html

I love the way he dismisses the first option as absurd, regardless of the
consequences which follow when choosing the second option.